Transparency Disclosure: We may receive a fee from the seller for any purchases made through links on this website or from other sites accessed via this website. This fee incurs no additional costs for the buyer. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. Read our Product Research and Testing page to know more about our review process in detail.
Our best cooling mattress topper reviews include both mattresses toppers and mattress pads. Although the two terms are frequently used for the same thing, there is a fundamental difference between mattress toppers and mattress pads.
Toppers are intended to change the feel of the mattress (hardness/softness/comfort level) or to refresh an old, worn mattress. Mattress pads are primarily used for the protection of a mattress from contamination, dirt, spills, accidents and so on. Here are our top 7 cooling mattress toppers/pads that are intended to keep you cool while in bed.
NOTE: We provide more information on cooling mattress toppers/pads in our Buyer’s Guide below details of our top choices.
|#1||ExceptionalSheets Cooling Mattress Topper|
( Top Fiber Fill )
|Proprietary Fiber Fill||View on Amazon|
|#2||ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop Mattress Pad||Proprietary Fiber Fill||View on Amazon|
|#3||Pure Green 100% Latex Mattress Topper|
|100% Latex||View on Amazon|
|#4||SleepBetter Iso Cool Mem Foam Topper|
(NASA Cooling Technology)
|Outlast ® Technology*||View on Amazon|
|#5||Advance Sleep Solutions Gel Topper||Gel Memory Foam||View on Amazon|
|#6||Milliard Gel Memory Foam cooling Topper||Gel Memory Foam||View on Amazon|
|#7||Bedjet V2 Climate Comfort Cooling Fan|
(Mattress Cooling Pump)
|Cold air Blower||View on Amazon|
* Check out the Buyer’s Guide for details of Outlast® technology.
Sizes: T: Twin; TXL: Twin XL; F: Full; FXL: Full XL; Q: Queen; OQ: Olympic Queen; K: King; CK: California King
Best Cooling Mattress Topper Table of Contents
1. ExceptionalSheets Bamboo Rayon Cooling Mattress Topper
The ExceptionalSheets cooling mattress pad or topper is filled with a proprietary hypoallergenic fiberfill that feels much like goose down and feathers, but without the hard ends poking into you. The plush top is covered with a bamboo-derived rayon that has a wonderful satin feel to it. The backing is of 70% polyester and 30% cotton, while the elasticized skirt is made using 76% polyester, 16% nylon, and 8% spandex. This can be stretched to hold the mattress topper firmly to your mattress.
Together, these features result in a high quality, a breathable mattress topper that keeps you cool at night. The fiber used is not only very comfortable to lie and sleep on, but also allows a good flow of air that prevents the filling from overheating. It also actively helps cool you down on these hot summer nights.
Cross section view:
- A soft, breathable, cooling mattress pad or mattress topper that provides extreme comfort for a restful sleep.
- Fits mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- Laboratory tested and certified safe according to Consumer Product Safety Commission 16 CFR Part 1632.
- Manufactured without using flame retardant chemicals.
- Hypoallergenic: resistant to dust mites and other allergens.
- Machine washable using gentle cold water cycle – no softeners and front loading machines only.
- Tumble dry at low setting.
- One year guarantee.
- 30 Day sleep trial: free return including free return transport if not satisfied.
- Made in the USA by American veterans.
- Cannot be washed in a machine with a central agitator.
- The base of this mattress pad is not as tough as the top covering, though is good enough with careful handling.
Editor’s Notes: This is the best cooling mattress topper we were able to find. The 160 thread count cover is also supported by a double needle baffle box stitch which keeps the filling secure and prevents it from clumping or moving about. You will find it difficult to find a better cooling mattress pad than this. The fiberfill is of a high quality and helps to promote a really comfortable sleeping surface.
2. ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop Mattress Pad
This ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop mattress pad can be found in many Marriot hotels. It is filled with the same proprietary RevoLoft Cluster fiber as is used in our top pick above. This mattress topper appears in our cooling mattress topper reviews because of its hypoallergenic properties and the superb comfort it provides. It is an excellent choice if you have an old mattress you want to revive. Mattress toppers are ideal alternatives to buying a new mattress.
If your mattress is starting to lose its smoothness and forms small lumps you can feel when lying on it, then you can purchase a new mattress – or use a mattress topper. A topper would not only give the mattress a new lease of life but would also help keep you cool. If you are beginning to feel a bit warm or hot at night, then the ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop mattress pad is a relatively inexpensive solution – and it also provides a good level of comfort.
- The unique proprietary polyester fiber clusters in this mattress pad provides a high level of comfort while also allowing a good air flow between the clusters of fiber.
- The 160 thread count PolySoft cover is resistant to both stains and moisture, so helps keep you dry and cool at night.
- Hypoallergenic, protecting you from dust, dust mites, bacteria, and various allergens. This is an excellent solution if you are affected by pets, subject to hay fever or are asthmatic.
- Fits mattresses up to 18 inches thick.
- 100% guarantee if you are not satisfied with this mattress topper, along with a 30-night sleep trial. Return within 30 days for free return transport and 100% refund.
- Machine wash in a front loader only set at cold, and tumble dry with a low setting. Do not use fabric softeners with this mattress topper.
- Made in the USA by American veterans.
- Cannot be washed in a central agitator machine.
- Customer service is excellent.
Editor’s Notes: This mattress topper is similar to the same company’s top choice which we rated at #1. The construction and stitching is of excellent quality, and the majority of external reviewers rate it very highly. This certainly deserves its #2 slot in our Best Cooling Mattress Topper (Pad) Reviews. Being made in the USA helps give us confidence in the quality of this product.
3. Pure Green 100% Latex Mattress Topper
Manufactured by ‘Sleep On Latex’ the pure green 100% latex cooling mattress topper is available in three thicknesses: 1″, 2″ and 3″. They are all Dunlop latex which is bouncy, but not as bouncy as Talalay latex, manufactured using a different process. The foam is produced in the company’s Sri Lankan foam factory. The latex used is 100% natural, with no synthetic latex used and no fillers added. This form of moulded latex is superior to ‘poured latex’ in every way. It is an open-structure latex mattress topper that absorbs heat while you sleep.
If you prefer the feel of a top layer of latex foam to a fiber filled mattress, then this would be your best solution. The fiber filled toppers above are excellent mattress toppers, but this is our best pick if you prefer foam. Particularly latex foam which provides more of a bounce than other foam types. Dunlop latex is preferred to Talalay latex for bounce due to the way it is made.
- 100% pure Dunlop latex.
- No fillers used – just latex.
- At 4 lb/cubic ft this latex is soft, but also provides excellent support.
- Excellent support from 1″ to 3″ thick toppers.
- Latex is well known for its cooling properties. This type of natural latex foam is open celled, with minute air chambers running all the way through the foam.
- This product has all the hallmarks to rank well as a cooling mattress topper.
- The company’s support system gets good reviews.
- 5 Year warranty.
- Some may find the mattress topper too soft. The 1-inch topper is more of a mattress pad, protecting the mattress from spillages rather than offering significant changes to the comfort level of the mattress.
- Latex cannot necessarily make your mattress cooler, but it can prevent a memory foam or polyurethane foam mattress from making you feel too hot.
Editor’s Notes: If you want to experience the full cooling effect of this type of latex foam cooling mattress topper, then go for the thickest – the 3-inch topper. Thinner foams have less of an effect, and while they may offer slight improvements in comfort, their cooling effect will reduce with thickness.
4. SleepBetter Iso-Cool Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The SleepBetter Iso-Cool memory foam mattress topper consists of three inches of visco-elastic memory foam with a 100% 300 thread count cotton cover. The cotton is quilted with polyester fiberfill of 11 ounces per square yard. The company’s Outlast® Adaptive Technology is used to keep your body temperature stable for a more comfortable sleep. This technology was developed for NASA and is explained in the Editor’s Notes, and it fundamentally absorbs your body heat to cool you down, and then releases it to warm you up if you get too cold.
The 300 thread cotton cover is very smooth and comfortable without being too heavy. The 300 refers to the number of threads per square inch. 300 is optimum for cooling and protecting the mattress topper or mattress pad from accidental spillages or contamination. Thread counts for mattress covers generally vary from 100 to 300 thread counts. Another benefit of the SleepBetter Iso-Cool memory foam mattress topper is its deep skirt. It can fit mattresses of thickness up to 20 inches.
- 3-Inch thick memory foam.
- The skirt fits mattresses of up to 20 inches thick.
- 300 thread count 100% cotton cover.
- Imported materials and made in the USA.
- Some people using this mattress topper find it does not cool them as much as they expected. This could be a matter of over-expectation. That said, no mattress topper can cool everyone and much depends on ambient temperatures and the propensity of people to sweat at night.
- Otherwise, there are no significant negatives to the technology behind this cooling mattress topper.
Editor’s Notes: Outlast® Adaptive Comfort was developed for the US government and NASA to handle the extreme temperature variations of astronaut space suits. It reduces sweating and overheating in bed to help you get a more comfortable and restful sleep. This is an excellent cooling mattress topper that many will find works for them.
5. Advanced Sleep Solutions Gel Memory Foam Cooling Mattress Topper/Pad
The Advanced Sleep Solutions gel memory foam cooling mattress topper gives the experience of memory foam but without the heat often associated with memory foam mattresses. This cooling pad can improve the comfort of your mattress by relieving the pressure on your pressure points such as shoulders, hips and other joints. It also helps you sleep with a more natural alignment of your spine and helps to reduce the transfer of motion between sleeping partners, including pets.
- Reduces pressure on your joints, and excellent if you need orthopaedic support.
- The gel plus the open cell structure combine to keep you cool during the night. It may not always cool you, but this cooling topper can prevent you from heating up during the night.
- 3-Year manufacturer’s warranty.
- 60-Day trial period – get your money back if you are not happy with your mattress topper.
- C ertiPUR-US certified foam: Made without heavy metals, phthalates, ozone depleters, toxic fire-retardants and with less than 0.5 parts per million VOC emissions.
- Made in the USA.
- Very few negatives, the main issue appearing to be a lack of cooling power. As stated above, the topper may not cool you, but should help prevent you become hotter during the night.
- Otherwise, no apparent specific issues.
Editor’s Notes: This appears in our best cooling mattress pad list because it is a gel memory foam mattress topper/pad, a combination with proven cooling properties. If you wake up hot during the night, your mattress may be to blame. You may resolve this problem by using this mattress topper over your existing mattress. If you don’t like it you can return it within 60 days for a full refund.
6. Milliard Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This Milliard gel memory foam cooling mattress topper works in the same way as the Advanced Sleep Solutions topper above. It helps to prevent you from heating up at night and waking up hot and sweating. It is 2 inches thick, and absorbs the pressure of your body, providing your joints and pressure points with good support. This cooling mattress topper/pad helps to maintain a natural shape to your spine and so helps prevent lower back pain and hip pain.
- 2-Inches of gel permeated memory foam to help prevent you from becoming excessively hot at night.
- Helps maintain a healthy and natural shape to your spine.
- Provides pressure point relief.
- Comes with a removable zippered bamboo silky-smooth cover.
- CertiPUR-US certified with antibacterial and hypoallergenic properties.
- Foam is 2.5 lb density and provides a good, supportive layer over your mattress.
- Made in China.
- Some may find it slightly too hard for them.
- No other negatives we could find.
Editor’s Notes: This is a good gel memory foam mattress topper. It does keep you cool at night, though make sure you test the mattress pad properly during the first 60 days (the testing period during which it can be returned for full refund.) This is an excellent product if you want any existing over-soft mattress made firmer, or if you tend to wake up too hot at night.
7. BedJet V2 Climate Comfort Cooling Fan
The Bedjet V2 Climate Comfort Fan is not a mattress topper but is a solution to cooling down a mattress that is too hot. It comes in a Sometimes a mattress topper doesn’t do the job, and you remain hot regardless of what cooling mattress pad or topper you use. This where the Bedjet V2 climate comfort cooling fan comes in useful. Powered cooling rapidly removes heat from your mattress and your body. If you sweat at night or get hot flashes, and a traditional cooling mattress topper doesn’t work for you, then this is an ideal remedy.
The Bedjet comes with an alternative heating mode, which provides dry heat similar to a sauna. This warms up cold feet and legs in seconds. The V2 model reviewed also features an aromatherapy kit. The essential oils provided are diffused through your bedding, providing the soothing benefits that such treatment can provide. There is also an optional dual temperature zone upgrade available. This provides independent heating and control to each side of the bed. You and your partner can set your own preferred temperatures.
The system comes with a remote control device. There is also a free Bluetooth app that enables you to control the Bedjet from your iPhone, iPad or Android device. Controllable factors include temperature, auto shut-off, wake-up alarm and biorhythm cycle settings for maximum sleep efficiency.
- Rapid cooling if your mattress gets too hot, with temperature control to keep it cool.
- Also heats the bed in cold weather.
- Comes with an aromatherapy kit to provide a soothing fragrance to your bed.
- Optional dual temperature control, avoiding arguments regarding mattress temperature.
- Fits beneath any bed with a 7-inch clearance.
- No electrical components in your bed.
- Optional Air Comforter sheets available to maximize the distribution of cool air.
- No obvious negatives.
- Make sure you read the instructions thoroughly before installation and you should have no problems.
Editor’s Notes: This is an effective alternative which users believe is more effective than even the best cooling mattress topper. The same is true of pads: the best cooling mattress pad is nowhere near as effective as the Bedjet V2. However, the Bedjet system is more expensive, but well worth the cost if you are willing to pay it. Those who suffer significantly from night sweats, hot flashes and suffer from poor quality or insufficient sleep because of this problem will benefit significantly. The aromatherapy kit is an added bonus, provided relaxation that no mattress topper or pads can provide, and also helps you get to sleep quickly – another issue with which many have a problem.
Buyer’s Guide to the Best Cooling Mattress Pads and Toppers
This guide to the best cooling mattress pads and toppers makes little reference to the difference between mattress toppers and mattress pads. Today, the two terms are practically used synonymously, and there are few differences to be found between them. It is their cooling effect with which we are mainly concerned in our cooling mattress topper reviews, and how they can be used to keep you cool at night and help reduce night sweating.
Many people overheat at night for a variety of reasons. Some find that using a memory foam mattress tends to heat their body too much for their liking. Memory foam reacts to heat by softening and conforming to your body shape. This can lead to overheating and night sweats. Others suffer from hot flashes, and others simply have a high metabolic rate that heats them up when sleeping.
What to Look For in a Cooling Mattress Pad or Topper
That said, what should you be looking for when you buy a cooling mattress topper or a cooling pad? Then construction of the cooling pad or mattress topper is an important aspect of its ability to absorb heat. Here are the more important aspects of the best cooling mattress Toppers that make them so effective.
First, check out the cover. A bamboo-derived rayon cover offers a sleek sleeping surface that helps to keep you cool. Cotton covers can also be cooling, particularly if the thread count is not too high.
Fiber Fillings: Then check the filling. It is no coincidence that our two best cooling mattress topper reviews are filled with a proprietary fiber with similar properties to those of goose down and feathers. Such fillings contain a lot of space, or air, between the fibers. This makes it easier for heat to be drawn from the mattress, sheets, and your body and spread throughout the entire volume of the topper. Some fillings form clusters, allowing even more airflow and more effecting cooling.
Latex Fillings: After that comes a latex topper, made using a Dunlop latex which has a more open pore structure than Talalay latex – hence more effective heat withdrawal.
Memory Foam Fillings: Cooling memory foam toppers have either been designed to draw off heat or contain gel particles that absorb heat while you sleep. Standard memory foams often create heat by cradling your body and absorbing its heat but being unable to dissipate that heat. You simply create your own ‘hot box’.
Outlast® Adaptive Technology
Outlast® technology is used in our #4 choice. Just like memory foam, Outlast® adaptive technology was originally developed for NASA. It is based upon phase change materials that absorb heat and then release it to keep you cool. These materials are microencapsulated in a polymer shell. It works in much the same way as ice cubes cool down a drink. The ice absorbs heat from the drink, cooling it down, and changing the phase from solid to liquid as it does so.
These microcapsules, known as Thermocules™, help to maintain your bed or mattress at an optimum temperature for sleeping. As your body heats up, that body heat is absorbed by the Thermocules™, and then the heat released back into your skin once it cools down – then the cycle begins again, keeping you cool throughout the night.
FAQs: Cooling Mattress Toppers and Pads
Here are some of the questions we have been asked about cooling mattress toppers and cooling mattress pads along with our answers.
Theoretically, a memory foam mattress can keep you cool due to the open pore structure of most memory foams. However, this happens only for a short time. Memory foam deforms with the pressure and heat of your body, and as it absorbs more heat it softens even more. Your body can then lie in a cocoon of foam and heat up fairly quickly. Cooling mattress toppers or pads can keep you cool for a lot longer due to the way they are designed.
A lot depends on what you like. If you like the idea of memory foam, then our #4 is likely the best: a memory foam mattress topper with the Outlast® adaptive technology. This technology works for many people, although some prefer a gel memory foam. If you prefer a bouncier mattress, then the #3 Dunlop latex foam would suit you best, and still help keep you cool.
No, it’s not. However, we have included the Bedjet as an option that most people may never consider without it being brought to their attention. If you suffer badly from night sweats or hot flashes, and all else fails to keep you cool at night, then the Bedjet will likely be best for you. Had we not included it, you may never have been aware of it.
Yes, it should help maintain support, but may also slightly affect the Tempurpedic support properties. In your case we would recommend a thinner cooling memory foam mattress: perhaps the #6 would be best for supporting your spine. It’s only 2 inches thick so will offer memory foam support without being too thick over the Tempurpedic which is also a memory foam mattress. Or maybe #4 which is a type of memory foam more efficient at cooling you down. Check out our reviews of both and see what you think yourself. We are not physicians so could not make a qualified decision. Once you have chosen, check out your choice with Tempurpedic before you purchase.
We check out each selection on the vendor’s site and also the manufacturer’s website. We note the comments made on the manufacturer’s or vendor’s site by those that have purchased each product and also carefully consider its construction. We then make a judgment of the effectiveness of each topper for its main functions: in this case cooling and comfort. There is little point in us recommending a mattress pad that cools superbly but is uncomfortable to lie on.
That’s connected with your metabolism. If you burn calories faster than most other people then you will generate more energy – and energy means heat. That’s why you get hot and sweat after exercising. Some people burn more calories while at rest than others and that will make them hot at night and sweat. For some it is hormones – hence the hot flashes during the menopause stage. Whatever the reason, it’s unlikely you will be able to prevent it.
Why would you want to do that? I suppose you could, but it sort of defeats the object. You would have to switch it off as soon as you feel comfortable. Perhaps you should try the Bedjet Climate Comfort Cooling Fan. That has a heating function that can be immediately replaced with the cooling option when you need it.
- ExceptionalSheets Cooling Mattress Topper
- ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop Mattress Pad
- Pure Green 100% Latex Mattress Topper
- SleepBetter Iso Cool Mem Foam Topper
- Advance Sleep Solutions Gel Topper
- Milliard Gel Memory Foam cooling Topper
- Bedjet V2 Climate Comfort Cooling Fan
The above factors are the more important aspects of a cooling mattress topper or pad that you should consider. Keep in mind that our best cooling mattress topper reviews are our top selections from many that we have considered. They are all effective, and between them they use all the common methods that the best cooling mattress pads or toppers use to keep you cool in bed. Choose the one you feel is most suitable for you, and if none catch your eye then we have included the Bedjet V2 climate comfort cooling fan as an alternative approach for you. Many like the concept of this, and it can also be used to provide heat on these exceptionally cold nights.
Valorie Marshburn says
Exactly what I’ve been looking for. Iso-Cool Memory Foam Mattress Topper helps tremendously for keeping me cool when I get hot flashes. Really comfortable. Like that the mattress topper is so cool when I get into bed. It stays cool for about 4 hours. I wish it could last a couple more hours. But it was definitely worth my money.
Vernon Faucett says
The main reason I bought Pure Green was for the cooling effects. We have a memory foam Mattress and have been so frustrated by how much heat it retains at night. We tried everything including changing our thermostat, having all the A/C vents cleaned, bought lighter bedding’s, and also tried a few ‘gel’ toppers but nothing seemed to work. I have had this topper for about a month now and it works as advertised. I have not woken up at night due to heat since we got this topper.
Vernon Faucett says
I’ve had ExceptionalSheets Pillowtop Mattress Pad for 3 years and it’s been fantastic. Went on top of a new, uncomfy mistakenly-bought mattress. Finally, just now, my man’s side is starting to sag in a bit. But it’s made all the difference. Never was hot at all. Highly recommend.
Troy Triggs says
I was all set to replace my mattress. I found a very comfortable one at a hotel and when I checked for it’s manufacturer I found there was a topper on it. I started my hunt for a decent topper and decided on the ISO Cool Memory Foam pad. I must say, it has lived beyond my expectations. I have a bad hip and painful shoulders. While the pad did not do much for the shoulders it has worked wonders at eliminating all hip pain that was keeping me up nights.
Vernon Faucett says
Love this topper and the foam. Just like other memory foam it needs to air out for about a day. After that it didn’t smell. This is very comfy to sleep with.
Tanja Adkisson says
How is Advance Sleep Solutions Gel Topper for side sleepers, I have bad shoulder pain and I can’t sleep on my back?
Mark Vaughn says
Which one of these is waterproof?
Richard Morse says
Eusebio Lehner says
How is it for side sleepers, I have bad shoulder pain and I can’t sleep on my back?
Richard Morse says
It is fabulous!
Jayna Koren says
Advance Sleep Solutions Gel Topper is by far THE BEST I have tried. I hope it remains this way; had the best night sleep in awhile.
Eusebio Lehner says
How firm is these mattress toppers are for people with low back pain?
Desmond Butler says
I am so so happy that I bought the Milliard gel memory foam mattress topper. I Would definitely recommend this topper to anyone thinking about getting it. You won’t regret buying it.
Richard Morse says
It’s a nice topper.