Transparency Disclosure: We may receive a fee from the seller for any purchases made through links on this website or from other sites accessed via this website. This fee incurs no additional costs for the buyer. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. Read our Product Research and Testing page to know more about our review process in detail.
These best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress reviews in 2023 will present our top five mattresses from this company. Based in Lexington, Kentucky, this company saw the potential of how NASA’s development of viscoelastic foam could be used in mattress technology. Most people are now aware of how this foam was initially developed for the seats of astronauts, to absorb the G-forces and also in aircraft seats to improve survivability in a crash.
Known generally as ‘memory foam’ this is a type of polyurethane foam that softens with heat and pressure. It is now commonly used in mattresses and pillows, and TEMPUR-Pedic is the flagship of memory foam mattresses and pillows. Let’s not beat about the bush – they are expensive, and there are cheaper alternatives on the market. However, there is no denying the high quality of a genuine TEMPUR-Pedic mattress.
Here are our five best TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses in 2023. If you want the real deal, then this is what you get! Our reviews use the Queen size TEMPUR-Pedic memory foam mattress as standard.
|Ranking||Brand and Name||Layers||Type||Our Rating||Price|
|#1||TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme|
|View on Amazon|
|#2||TEMPUR-Pedic Cloud Supreme|
(100% Foam Mattress)
|View on Amazon|
|#3||TEMPUR-Contour Supreme Firm|
(Best Firm Mattress)
|View on Amazon|
|#4||TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Prima Medium||6||Foam/SC/Springs|
|View on Amazon|
|#5||TEMPUR-Cloud Prima medium-soft||4||Foam|
|View on Amazon|
* SC = SmartClimate system to keep you cool.
Top TEMPUR-Pedic Mattresses: Table of Contents
1. TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium
The TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium mattress combines the benefits of responsive memory foam. The term ‘Medium’ refers to its hardness level, and this is an ideal mattress for side sleepers and back sleepers. TEMPUR-Pedic is well known for the high quality of its mattresses, and this is its flagship product.
That said, this is definitely the best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress you can buy. The high quality of the firm’s responsive memory foam is well known, and few, if any, companies can match it. The Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium mattress consists of six layers which combine to make this a supremely comfortable mattress to sleep on:
Top Layer: The company’s EasyRefresh soft cover with a durable zipper that can be accessed from any side. It is easy to remove for machine washing and drying and offers the perfect cover to keep your mattress clean.
Layer 2: This 1-inch layer is TEMPUR-Pedic’s proprietary SmartClimate System. The top cover of this layer wicks away moisture to keep you dry, while the inner layer of this system absorbs heat to keep you cool during the night.
Layer 3: The next layer down is the Comfort Layer – a 2-inch layer of TEMPUR-Pedic ES material: a soft memory foam that cushions you to provide exceptional comfort above the support layers beneath it.
Layer 4: The fourth layer is a highly responsive layer fashioned using TEMPUR-Response foam. It automatically responds to your personal body weight and shape (including pressure points) and also promotes excellent partner separation. You are not disturbed by your partner’s movements.
Layer 5: The fifth layer is TEMPUR-Pedic’s Dynamic Support layer. For the first time, TEMPUR-Pedic is introducing steel springs to its range. The dynamic Support layer is one of the encased 6-inch steel coils. These react with the response layer above to provide support that adapts to the movement of your body. This is where the ‘Hybrid’ reference comes in with the TEMPUR-Flex line of products.
Layer 6: This 2.5-inch ‘Base’ layer offers support for all the layers above, and also helps to remove heat from them. It disperses heat from the mattress and helps to keep you cooler at night.
Together, these layers combine to form TEMPUR-Pedic’s ‘top of the range’ product: the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme, a superb mattress that is suitable for all types of sleeper. It is highly recommended for those suffering from orthopedic issues such as back pain, neck pain, and general joint issues. It is, without a doubt, our #1 choice.
- Superb comfort and support.
- Ideal for those with neck and/or back pain.
- Excellent motion separation between partners.
- Helps prevent overheating in bed, even in warm weather.
- Prevents depressions forming when you sleep in the same position every night.
- Available in eight sizes.
- 11.5 Inches thick for a truly comfortable sleep.
- Suitable for use with an adjustable base.
- Wrapped but not compressed for delivery.
- 10 Year limited warranty.
- 100% designed and made in USA.
- The mattress is heavy: 127lb. However, once on your foundation or base you will be unlikely to need to remove it.
- Cannot be flipped due to its construction.
Editor’s Notes: The TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme mattress is a superb example of its kind. It offers comfort combined with ergonomic support for those with orthopedic issues. Pressure is minimized on pressure points, and motion transfer is significantly reduced. This is the epitome of memory foam mattresses combined with the support benefits of individually wrapped steel coils (hence the term ‘hybrid’) and usually appears at #1 in the best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress reviews. This would likely be the best TEMPUR-Pedic bed you have slept on – in fact, likely the best bed you have slept on period!
2. TEMPUR-Pedic Cloud Supreme
The TEMPUR-Pedic Cloud Supreme mattress is similar to the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid reviewed above, but without the steel coil layer. This mattress is 100% foam. It features Layers 1-3 of the Hybrid mattress reviewed above, and Layers 4, 5 and 6 have been replaced by a support layer and a thicker base layer. The total thickness is the same 11.5 inches of the Hybrid mattress.
This is the ideal choice if you prefer not to have a support layer of steel coils. Keep in mind that the individually pocketed coils help with motion isolation and also conform to the shape of your body when you sleep. Nevertheless, if you prefer not, then this is our best choice of TEMPUR-Pedic mattress for you. It is available in a full eight sizes and will conform to your body shape just as much as the hybrid mattresses.
- 11.5 inches thick: same comfortable thickness as the flagship Flex Hybrid mattress.
- The comfort layer lies over a support layer and a thick base layer that prevents you from sinking too deeply into your mattress.
- Available in eight sizes.
- The memory foam comfort layer conforms to your body shape, supports your pressure points and is an excellent choice for those suffering back pain, neck pain or other orthopedic conditions.
- The construction of the Cloud mattress spreads your weight evenly over the mattress, thus helping to prevent the formation of depressions in the mattress after constant use.
- The SmartClimate system keeps you cool during the night and also draws moisture away from where you are sleeping.
- The EasyRefresh top cover is easily unzipped for machine washing and drying. This also helps keep you dry by wicking moisture away and gives the feel of a pillow-top when you lie on it.
- Can be used with an adjustable base.
- 10 Year limited warranty.
- Made in USA.
- Next to none: as with the Hybrid mattress it is heavy, but once on your bed you are unlikely to want to remove it.
- Cannot be flipped.
Editor’s Notes: This mattress is second only to the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium mattress in terms of features. It is equal to it in quality, and just as capable of providing a comfortable, supportive sleep for both very heavy and light-weight people. The memory foam construction isolates the motion of partners, so each person can sleep well irrespective of how their partner moves about the bed – unless they both try to grab the same space of course! Then the woman wins!
3. TEMPUR-Pedic TEMPUR‐Contour Supreme Firm
The TEMPUR-Contour Supreme Firm mattress is firmer than either of the two mattresses reviewed above. If you prefer a firmer sleeping surface, then this is it. As with the other TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses, the TEMPUR-Contour Supreme mattress conforms to your shape and absorbs your body weight, thus practically absorbing the pressure on your pressure points: shoulders, hips/buttocks, and knees.
It is fitted with the zippered EasyRefresh top cover as those mattresses above, and the same SmartClimate memory foam system to help you stay dry and cool when sleeping. Beneath that is the main support layer, manufactured using TEMPUR memory material to provide support, and a base layer that is designed to support all the layers above it. The entire construction again creates a mattress of 11.5 inches thickness.
- 11.5 inches thick.
- Good for those of heavier body weight, or those who prefer a firmer sleeping surface.
- Provides comfort to heavier weight sleepers allied with good support.
- Good support for those with neck or back pain.
- Provides excellent motion isolation, as most responsive memory foams do. Helps wick away moisture and keeps you cool while sleeping.
- Suitable for an adjustable base.
- 10 Year limited warranty.
- Designed and made in USA.
- None that we could find: the weight is lower than those above at 94 lb.
- Like those mattresses above, the TEMPUR-Contour Supreme Firm mattress cannot be flipped.
Editor’s Notes: This mattress is the best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress we could find for those of heavier body weight and who prefer a firmer sleeping surface. The two prior TEMPUR-Pedic mattress reviews above are the best for people who like comfort, a soft surface to sleep on but also reasonable core support that prevents them from disappearing into the mattress.
4. TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Prima Medium
Available in Twin, Twin-XL, Full, Queen, King and Cal King sizes, the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Prima Medium mattress is constructed with the same six layers as our #1 choice, the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium mattress – only at a total of 10 inches thick.
This mattress comes with the EasyRefresh soft cover that can be machine washed and dried, the SmartClimate and Comfort layers and also the TEMPUR-Response foam over the steel coil Dynamic Support layer. The entire structure is supported by a base layer that not only provides good support but also helps keep the mattress cool.
- All the benefits of our #1 choice: the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme Medium mattress – other than the thickness which is 10 inches.
- Helps keep you cool at night.
- Supports your pressure points: your shoulders, hips and knees, and also buttocks for back sleepers.
- An excellent mattress for side and back sleepers, although stomach sleepers can also use it.
- 90-day sleep trial period. If you don’t like the mattress you get a full refund minus shipping costs. However, you must test the mattress for at least 30 nights before you get a refund.
- 10 year limited warranty.
- Designed and made in USA.
- This mattress weighs 116 lb, 11 lb less than the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme, but still heavy if you want to turn it (which is not recommended).
- Cannot be flipped due to its structure.
Editor’s Notes: Because this mattress has a good two layers of TEMPUR-Pedic responsive memory foam, it supports your entire body by responding to your body’s heat and pressure. The mattress enables your spine to retain its natural shape whether you sleep on your side or your back. This is also true for stomach sleepers, but to a slightly more limited extent. The spring structure provides a good level of support and is slightly firmer than the TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme medium mattress.
5. TEMPUR‐Cloud Prima Medium-Soft
The TEMPUR-Cloud Prima medium-soft mattress is constructed with four of the six layers of our #1 choice (TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme). Note that this mattress contains no springs: it is 100% memory foam. Its total thickness is 10 inches constructed using some of TEMPUR-Pedic’s most innovative foams:
Top Cover: The top cover, a soft super-stretch material with grey sides, wicks away moisture and keeps the mattress clean.
2nd Layer: This has its own cover that helps to keep you cool and dry while you sleep. This layer and the comfort layer below establishes the medium-soft characteristic of the entire mattress. Beneath this, the comfort later comprises TEMPUR-ES material: an extra-soft rapidly adaptive memory foam that conforms to the contours of your body.
3rd Layer: Next is a support layer of TEMPUR memory foam that helps to distribute your body weight evenly over the whole area of the mattress. This is a higher quality of memory foam than that used by other mattress manufacturers.
4th Layer: The bottom base layer of higher density memory foam supports all the other layers, gives you a firm base to sleep on and helps to disperse heat generated during the night.
- The TEMPUR-Cloud Prima medium-soft mattress is available in Twin, Twin-XL, Full, Queen, King and Cal King sizes.
- This mattress includes some of TEMPUR-Pedic’s major technologies in its construction.
- Suitable for back and side sleepers: also our best choice for stomach sleepers due to its softness.
- 90-day sleep trial test period – with the provision that you use it for at least 30 days.
- 10 year limited warranty.
- Made in USA.
- Cannot be flipped – none of the TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses can be flipped.
- Otherwise, no specific faults.
Editor’s Notes: The TEMPUR-Cloud Prima range offers a good level of softness with the support provided by higher density memory foams. The plush top layers offer a plush sleeping surface over the good adaptive, rapid-response support provided by TEMPUR-Pedic’s innovative, unique memory foams. Your body weight is evenly distributed, rendering this mattress ideal for side and back sleepers.
TEMPUR-Pedic Vs. Latex and Regular Memory Foam Mattresses
Before we conclude this review with our Buyer’s Guide and FAQs we often come across, let’s first discuss how TEMPUR-Pedic material compares to latex foam and regular memory foams. Here is how the three types of foam weigh up against each other.
Adapting to Body Shape
Regular memory foam reacts to your weight and body temperature to conform to the shape of your body, whatever way you sleep: on your side, back or stomach. It then reverts back to its original flat shape when you get out of bed.
TEMPUR-Pedic also does this, but unlike regular memory foam, the TEMPUR-Pedic material does so every night for many more years than regular memory foam can. Latex can do the same, but only for a very short time before it stops reverting back to a flat mattress.
Relief For Pressure Points
Regular memory foam conforms to your body shape and cradles its pressure points. This reduces the pressure on areas such as your hips, shoulders, and knees. TEMPUR material does the same; only it does so for much longer before the ‘memory’ aspect of the foam begins to fail. Latex foam is not so good at this and can be hard on your hips and shoulders.
Memory foam can heat you up at night. However, gel-infused memory foams can cool you through the gel absorbing your body heat. TEMPUR material is a more advanced form of memory foam with an open cell structure that regulates heat and cold to create an ideal sleeping temperature. Latex heats you up, and also has to use gel technology to keep you cool. Gel technology does not cool you as effectively as the open cell technology.
Regular memory foam can be fairly durable and last a good while if it is used properly with the correct density for your body weight. TEMPUR foam is more durable: it was designed to withstand the G-forces involved in space shuttles and high-impact crashes. Latex foam is almost as good as TEMPUR-Pedic foam and should last for many years in a mattress.
Latex is generally regarded as the safest type of foam, to use in a mattress. It is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, bed bugs, etc. Regular memory foam is not so good and is also manufactured using chemicals that can conceivably present a risk to those suffering allergies. TEMPUR material is resistant to dust mites, bed bugs, and other parasites. That is why TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses are preferred by those who are allergic to such parasites and microorganisms.
Buyer’s Guide to TEMPUR-Pedic Mattresses
TEMPUR-Pedic is a registered trade name for Tempur-Pedic North America, LLC. The company specializes in adaptive or memory foam mattresses and other products such as pillows. When purchasing a mattress, you should first establish what type of mattress you need.
Do you need a mattress that:
1) Helps reduce your back pain?
2) Helps keep your neck and spine in proper alignment?
3) Helps you get to sleep quicker at night – maybe you find it difficult due to joint pain or for some other reason?
4) Reduces pain if you are being treated for muscle or orthopedic issues and need a comfortable sleeping surface?
5) Helps you feel less hot at night?
6) Helps to reduce the effect or proliferation of allergens such as dust mites?
7) Enables you and your partner to sleep in different positions: the mattress that suits you best might not suit your partner?
8) Helps isolate the movement of partners: your sleep may often be disturbed by the movement of your partner?
9) Helps keep you cool while sleeping?
10) Is highly durable and lasts a long time?
TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses can help you with all of these issues. However, everything is not all rosy with memory foam, and here are some of its negative aspects and potential solutions:
1) Because it softens with the pressure and heat of your body, a memory foam mattress might not provide the level of support you need.
2) Some memory foam mattresses can make you feel hot at night because you tend to sink into the mattress as you heat up.
3) If your bedroom is heated, the mattress could be too soft (memory foam softens with heat) and if too cold, it could be hard to sleep on.
TEMPUR material (the type of memory foam used in TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses) has an open-cell structure. This type of structure enables air to flow through the mattress at night keeping you cool. As the warm air created by your body circles away into your bedroom, the cell structure of the TEMPUR Material draws in cooler air.
Additionally, to keep you cool you can use any TEMPUR-Pedic memory foam mattress with the SmartClimate system. This helps you remain cooler at night than other types of memory foam can. Some memory foams are manufactured using gel beads, and while these may help to absorb heat while you sleep, the TEMPUR-Pedic system is likely the best solution.
You can choose the best TEMPUR-Pedic bed for your needs from the five we have reviewed above. These are our best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress reviews in 2023. Our top comparison covers what we believe to be the five best TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses available today.
TEMPUR-Pedic Mattress FAQs
TEMPUR-Pedic foam (referred to as TEMPUR material) has been developed specifically to support your whole body no matter what position you sleep in. The company’s formula is proprietary, and no other company is able to copy it. The TEMPUR foam is referred to as ‘material’ and not ‘memory foam’.
Yes it is, at least in the way that the public regard memory foam. It conforms to your body shape like memory foam and reverts back to its original flat shape like memory foam – only faster and it lasts a lot longer. Years after regular ‘memory foam’ has formed channels and can no longer get flat again, the TEMPUR material will still be as responsive as the day you purchased it.
Yes, it is. The company has the only products officially recognized by NASA and certified by the Space Foundation. That is the type of recognition you are purchasing when you buy a TEMPUR-Pedic mattress.
The plant is in Virginia, though the foam blend comes from Sweden. There is another plant due to open in Scottsdale, Arizona.
They cannot be flipped because each mattress is carefully designed from the bottom up to give maximum support combined with maximum comfort. We don’t recommend you rotate them – there is really no need. TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses do not wear in the same way as others, so you don’t have to rotate them.
The cover is zippered and can be removed. You can machine wash and dry it. The mattress itself can be spot cleaned carefully if any spillage gets through the cover.
We don’t recommend it. Keep in mind that the foam softens with heat, and you may lose this property if your mattress is always heated. If you must use an electric blanket use it as an over-blanket – then it won’t ruin the mattress.
It can vary according to the use you put to it. However, on average a mattress should around 8 – 10 years plus. It will last longer than most other mattresses.
It should work on any solid or adjustable base. However, in certain cases, the warranty may not be valid unless you use it on an approved base. Contact your vendor regarding this.
- TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Supreme
- TEMPUR-Pedic Cloud Supreme
- TEMPUR-Contour Supreme Firm
- TEMPUR-Flex Hybrid Prima Medium
- TEMPUR-Cloud Prima medium-soft
TEMPUR-Pedic mattresses are superior to regular memory foam and latex mattresses for a number of reasons. We have selected the five we have because of their unique properties. Sure, none of them are perfect, but together they are as close to perfection as you can get to mattress technology in this day and age. Any of the five would be a good buy, so check out their respective properties and select the best TEMPUR-Pedic mattress to meet your needs.
Leave a Reply