Transparency Disclosure: We may receive a fee from the seller for any purchases made through links on this website or from other sites accessed via this website. This fee incurs no additional costs for the buyer. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. Read our Product Research and Testing page to know more about our review process in detail.
It is not easy to choose the best bed frame for a heavy person. The term ‘heavy’ is a relative one, meaning that heavy to some may be relatively light to others. A heavyweight to a normal person may not be heavy to a weightlifter for example. However, when it comes to beds, heavyweight people know when their bed cannot adequately support their weight. Lightweight people can also use such bed frames if their mattress is comfortable and not too hard for them.
A bed comprises more than just the mattress and bed coverings such as sheets and comforters (duvet in the UK and doona in Australia.) A good bed for heavy people needs a good mattress for heavy people resting on a heavy-duty bed frame or foundation. The bed frame supports the mattress which in turn supports you. We are assuming here that you also have a suitable mattress for heavyweight people. The strongest bed frames are made from a metal such as iron or steel.
Note: Memory foam mattresses without a high-density foam base should not be used on bed frames with wide spaces between slats or rails. Such mattresses need a solid base, so you would need to place a solid board between the memory foam mattress and the metal bed frame.
Here are our six best bed frames for a heavy person. At least one of these should be ideal for you. The Queen size has been used as an example of each frame.
Strongest Bed Frames for Heavy People
|Sr. No.||Bed Frame||Weight||Dimensions (in)*||Legs**||Price|
|1.||Classics Brand Hercules Metal Bed Frame||43.0 lb||80 x 59 x 14||12||View on Amazon|
|2.||Olee Sleep 14 inch Heavy Duty Bed Frame||47.4 lb||81.5 x 61.5 x 14||8||View on Amazon|
|3.||Zinus Demetric 14 inch Elite SmartBase||46.9 lb||80 x 60 x 14||12||View on Amazon|
|4.||Mellow Rocky Base E 14" Platform Bed||64.0 lb||80 x 60 x 14||7||View on Amazon|
|5.||45MinST 14 Inch Reinforced Platform Bed Frame||53.9 lb||82.4 x 62.4 x 14||9||View on Amazon|
|6.||Naomi Home idealBase 14" Foldable Bed Frame||35.6 lb||80 x 60 x 14||12||View on Amazon|
Table of Contents
*Dimensions of the assembled product (Queen size.) Other mattress sizes available as stated in the brief review below for each product.
** Extra legs will make the frame more stable. We have chosen 6 frames with 7 legs or more for high stability.
1. Classics Brand Hercules Metal Bed Frame
The Classics Brand Heavy Duty Metal Bed Frame/Foundation is extremely strong and provides excellent support for the majority of mattresses for heavy people. This bed frame doubles as a frame and foundation in that it offers good support for the mattress. It is an excellent lower-cost alternative to heavy-duty box springs and other traditional foundations or frames. No tools are needed for its assembly and it can be used with most headboards and footboards, though you need to order the brackets separately. It is the best bed frame for an overweight person that we have been able to find.
- Available for all regular mattress sizes.
- Easy assemble, with no tools needed to set it up.
- Very strong, made from heavy-duty steel and can support any type of mattress and personal weight.
- Supports up to 1,000 lb in weight.
- Is 14-inches high, providing plenty of space for under-bed storage.
- Suitable for use with box spring foundations.
- If required, it can fit inside any decorative bed frames.
- Does not squeak.
- Prevents mattress from sagging, and extends the life of your mattress.
- Like all such frames, they can also be used by lighter-weight people so long as the mattress is not too hard.
- 3-Year warranty against manufacturing or material defects.
- 30-Day free returns within 30 days.
- Free Shipping
- None that we could find.
Editor’s Notes: This is a very strong bed frame that can withstand 1,000 lb in weight (453 Kg). This enables heavy people to sleep on a large heavy mattress without sagging and discomfort. It can be used without a foundation, such as a box spring. 30-Day trial period during which you can return the frame free of charge for a full refund.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
Note: Do not confuse this with the Classic Brands Hercules Compact or Adjustable heavy duty bed frames which cannot be used in place of a regular box spring foundation.
2. Olee Sleep 14 Inch Heavy Duty Steel Slat Bed Frame
The Olee Sleep heavy duty steel slat bed frame enables you to fit the mattress inside the frame to prevent any slippage. There is no need for a box spring or other foundation, though you can use one if you prefer. There is plenty of storage space below the frame, making this an excellent choice for a small room where storage is limited.
- A sturdy, strong bed frame for heavy people that retains the mattress and prevents it from slipping about.
- Easy to assemble.
- It can also be used without a foundation: the mattress can lie directly on top of the Classic Brands Hercules frame. Note that it is not advised to do this with 100% memory foam mattresses such as Tempurpedic:
- A box spring can be used on it but not recommended: it might make your bed too high and might also slip off the frame if you move about in your bed with potential injury.
- Plastic footing tabs protect the scratching of expensive flooring.
- Free from squeaks
- Assembly tools provided.
- Extremely strong, with a weight limit of 2300 lb.
- Free delivery in the US.
- Free returns if returned within 30 days for any reason.
- 5-Year manufacturer warranty.
- Available in only twin, full, queen and king sizes.
- Otherwise none that we could find.
Editor’s Notes: This heavy-duty bed frame for heavy people holds a weight up to 2300 lb (164 stones; 1,043 Kg) This is greater than the weight of any two humans, and 900 lb more than the weight of the heaviest man ever (Jon Brower Minnoch at 1400 lb.) This metal frame also prevents the mattress from sagging and the plastic tabs on the feet prevent scratching of the floor. However, it is not the best for a memory foam mattress unless you place a board between the mattress and the frame. Any plywood or particleboard will be good. There is also an 18-inch version available.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
3. Zinus Demetric 14 Inch Elite SmartBase Mattress Foundation
You can use the Zinus Demetric heavy duty metal bed frame as a foundation, but as with all such metal frames, be careful if you have a 100% memory foam mattress. As explained in out Buyer’s Guide below, memory foam can sag between the metal slats and may not recover to its normal flat surface. Use a board over the frame (particleboard or plywood) and you will be fine.
- A strong bed base or foundation that will hold up to 4,400 lb in weight ( 314 stones or 1,996 Kg – Queen size) spread over the whole frame. This is more than adequate for two people plus the weight of the mattress.
- 13” under bed storage space.
- No tools needed for assembly.
- Easily disassembled.
- It can be used just with a mattress or with a foundation, though a box spring foundation might make the bed too high for your liking and may slip off the frame.
- Free delivery in the USA.
- 5-Year limited warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Available in limited sizes: Twin, Twin XL and Queen sizes, though 2 x Twin XL would hold a King size mattress. Not suitable for California King mattresses.
- No other negatives that we could find.
Editor’s Notes: This is one of the best frames for a heavy person available. It is also an excellent bed frame for obese couples. Unfortunately, it is available in only Twin, Twin XL, and Queen sizes, though two Twin XLs will suit a King size mattress. You can easily fit them together. Unfortunately, there is no California King size available. Otherwise, this is a strong, heavy-duty queen bed frame.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
4. Mellow Rocky Base E 14″ Platform Bed
The Mellow Rocky Base E 14″ Platform Bed is a 100% steel bed frame for heavy people. It is constructed using heavy steel slats to support your mattress without any sagging, even with a memory foam mattress, and also to provide good support for you and your partner. It has six side legs and one central leg to provide added support and stability. It is 14 inches high, with 11 inches of under-bed storage space. It may not be the best bed frame for a heavy person, but it is best if you are using a memory foam mattress directly on top of it.
- Very stable bed frame for an overweight person.
- Made from 100% steel, and patented wide steel slats to prevent the mattress from sagging.
- Suitable for direct contact with any mattress.
- Easy assembly without additional tools.
- Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King and California King sizes.
- Plastic inserts on feet to help eliminate scratching of the floor.
- 5 Years warranty against manufacturing and material defects.
- It is possible to slip and slide on this steel bed frame due there being no lip to prevent it. However, few have commented on this issue.
- We could find no other negative aspects.
Editor’s Notes: This heavy-duty queen bed frame is one of the strongest bed frames we have reviewed. However, while strength is important, it just fails to get a perfect review as being the best bed frame for a heavy person due to there being no means of preventing the mattress from moving on the frame. That said, it is one of the strongest bed frames for an overweight person we have reviewed.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
5. 45MinST 14 Inch Reinforced Platform Bed Frame
The 45MinST 14-inch platform bed frame is extremely strong and stable, and the mattress should not slip because it is held stable by the lip round the entire frame. Like some of those listed above, this heavy duty Queen bed frame is among the strongest bed frames available, online or offline. It can hold way over the weight of even the most heavyweight couple. Its maximum 3,500 lb weight limit is a lot higher than any obese couple: they would have to weight 125 stones each.
- Made from 2.4 inches thick steel for strength, durability and stability.
- Free from noise.
- This frame has a lip to prevent the mattress from slipping.
- Easy to assemble with the tools provided.
- Storage space below.
- 5-Year warranty against faulty materials or workmanship.
- Plastic feet prevent scratching of hardwood floors.
- Queen size holds 3,500 lb weight. This is more than enough for it to be used as a heavy-duty bed frame for an obese couple or any other heavy usage.
- We could find nothing serious, although, like most other heavy duty bed frames, the legs are not recessed and it is too easy to hit one with a foot or your toes.
- That’s the only issue we could find.
Editor’s Notes: This is another bed frame for a heavy person, or even two very heavy people, that. It is also suitable for those of average weight. It can be used to support any mattress, including a memory foam mattress, due to its wide slat width. There is also an 18-inch high heavy duty bed frame for heavy people available if you need extra storage height.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
6. Naomi Home idealBase 14″ Foldable Metal Platform Bed Frame
The Naomi Home idealBase metal bed frame is foldable for storage and can bear a weight of up to 600 lb (42 stone 11 lb or 272 Kg). That is good for two heavy adults on the Queen size bed along with an average weight queen mattress (see Buyer’s Guide below.) Other bed sizes will vary accordingly. This heavy-duty bed frame has 12 legs and is foldable for easy storage. It is an ideal heavy duty queen bed frame for occasional use with visitors or whenever additional bedding is required.
- You get 13 inches of under-bed storage.
- Easy to assemble using wing nuts – no tools needed.
- Up to 600 lb (272 Kg) weight support – two people weighing 300 lb each or 600 lb between them!
- It can be used with just a mattress or with a box spring foundation.
- 90-day warranty against faults.
- A good substitute for a box frame.
- A few complaints about squeaks, but not too many. It depends on how tightly the wingnuts were screwed probably.
- No lip, so it is possible for the mattress to slip on the frame.
- Holds the lowest weight of the 6 frames reviewed.
Editor’s Notes: This deserves its place at #6 due to its ease of assembly and good support for the mattress or a box spring foundation. The Naomi Home idealBase foldable metal platform bed base does not hold as much weight as the other five bases listed, but at 600 lb it still supports 440 lb plus the average box spring mattress weight. This 440 lb is enough for an extremely heavy individual or two fairly heavy people of around 220 lb each in weight (15.7 stones or 99.8 Kg). A major benefit is that it is relatively lightweight for storage and transportation.
Purchase This Bed Frame on Amazon
Buyer’s Guide to Bed Frames for Heavy People
According to the World Health Organization, almost 40% of the world’s population is obese, with a BMI (body mass index) of 30 or more. It is important to choose the right sleep products when you are heavy weight or obese. Your mattress should have more support than average, and quite often a memory foam mattress will bottom out before you are properly supported.
If you have an innerspring mattress, the average queen size will weigh around 160 – 170 lb. If you have a frame that can take 600 lb, those using it must weigh no more than 440 lb between them. As explained earlier, this could be one very obese person or two people at 220 lb each (20 lb above average weight for an American male.).
It is important to have a comfortable and supportive bed. Some rely only on a hard, supportive mattress, but for genuine comfortable support the sensible answer is to have a dense mattress for heavy people on an innerspring mattress and a strong metal bed frame with a high weight limit of at least 400 lb plus the weight of the mattress. Many are over 1,000 lb, so you should have few problems find a mattress to hold your weight. Sexually active heavier weight couples may prefer an innerspring mattress, again resting on a metal bed frame.
What to Look for in a Bed Frame For a Heavy Person
Here are the main factors to look for in a bed frame for a heavy person:
Weight Capacity: Most bed frames have sufficient weight capacity for two heavy people, but a few (such as our #6) are suitable for just one heavy person. When you are making your choice, don’t forget to include the weight of the mattress and your bedding.
Metal Frames: The frame should be constructed in metal, preferably steel. A steel construction will provide maximum strength and support. Keep in mind that a square cross-section will be stronger than thin steel rods that can bend with time and use. Wood and plastic will not possess the same strength and durability as steel.
Extra Legs: Some bed frames have just four legs – one at each corner – and all the weight is going to be borne by these four legs. This is less than ideal for particularly heavy weight or obese people, particularly a couple. If you are particularly heavy in weight, then look for a bed frame with at least six legs, but preferably with 7 or over. We have chosen frames with 7 – 12 legs.
Type of Slats: If the frame has slats across its width, they should lie horizontally to offer maximum support. The more space between slats, then the more a foam mattress can sag into the spaces, particularly memory foams. Around 3 – 4-inch gaps are acceptable for a foam mattress. Otherwise, you may have to fix a plywood board over the whole frame to provide a solid support for the mattress. It might pay to check with the mattress supplier regarding the maximum distance between slats.
Easy Assembly: You don’t want a frame that requires an engineering degree to set up, even if it is the best bed frame for a heavy person. Those we have reviewed and listed come with any tools needed. Not all frames require tools, such as our #6 selection which uses wing nuts that are tightened by hand.
Stability and Noise: Some of the strongest bed frames can move slightly with your weight and make a noise when in use, the most common being a squeaky sound. We have taken this into consideration in our choices, though such issues should be avoidable if the bolts and wing nuts supplied are tightened properly.
Storage Space: Most bed frames for heavyweight people are fitted with legs. These permit storage space beneath the frame. All of our choices are 14 inches high, allowing up to 13 inches of storage space – sometimes even 14 inches. An exception is the Mellow Rocky Base E14 which has only 11 inches storage underneath.
Warranty: It is important that get as long a warranty as possible. The warranties offered with six frames we reviewed range from 90 days (#6) to 5 years (#2, #3, #4, #5). #1 is 3 years.
Trial Period: You will not always find a trial period available. However, some vendors might offer a 30-day trial as policy (such as our #1 choice above.)
Brand Credibility: Finally, there are many manufacturers who cut corners or who are a bit shady in their dealings. Our reviews have eliminated any we have felt the slightest doubt about. We have included only those with a good record of sales and positive reviews. Check their websites yourself or their Amazon listings. Amazon tends to drop such vendors, particularly when it receives multiple complaints about one vendor.
More Questions and Answers: The information above should answer most questions you may have. If you have a question for us, then contact us here. In addition to the above, people also ask:
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Different bed frames can hold different weights. The weight they will hold depends on several factors, the more important of these being the strength of the metal used, the construction design, the number of legs and the thickness of the metal used. You can also check out the weight in our review of each product above. The exception is the Mellow (#4) which has no stated maximum weight, but it looks very strong and no complaints regarding this have been made through Amazon.
Yes – they can. You are best to use paint intended for metals, and many people paint metal bed frames in colors to suit their bedroom décor.
It depends on what you mean by ‘better’. Wooden frames are surprisingly generally heavier in weight than metal frames and can take more time to set up. Added to that, wood can warp over time, particularly in damp, hot climates.
It is our #3 choice, the Zinus Demetric, the Queen size of which can hold 4,400 lb total weight (1,996 Kg). Keep in mind that for this, and all other strongest bed frames, this weight includes the mattress and bedding in addition to the combined weights of each person sleeping on it.
This can be an issue with metal bed frames without a lip round the edge of the frame to hold the mattress in. You could place an anti-slip layer on top of the frame. A recommended anti-slip layer is Gorilla Grip, a pad of slip-resistant material that you can fit between the frame and the mattress. If it doesn’t work due to the design of the frame, you could have a sheet of plywood or particle board cut to the bed size and placed over the metal frame. Place the Gorilla Grip pad on this and then the mattress on top of that. That should work!
Our Buyer’s Guide should assist you in making your best choice first time. If you have questions you need to be answered, then visit the InsideBedroom.com website where we will answer them.
Best Bed Frame for a Heavy Person: Top 6 Comparison
- Classics Brand Hercules Metal Bed Frame
- Olee Sleep 14 inch Heavy Duty Bed Frame
- Zinus Demetric 14 inch Elite SmartBase
- Mellow Rocky Base E 14" Platform Bed
- 45MinST 14 Inch Reinforced Platform Bed Frame
- Naomi Home idealBase 14" Foldable Bed Frame
We have checked out a number of metal bed frames for a heavy person including the best bed frame for an obese couple. We have listed our top 6 along with a Buyer’s Guide. We have found that there is no such as a best bed frame for an overweight person or an obese couple. Each frame has its own merits, and much depends on the weight of the person or people concerned, the type of mattress you have and whether or not you need ample storage space beneath the bed.
Hilary Blackledge says
I did not know what to expect, but it exceeds my expectations. I am doubtful that the frame would be strong, I have a 12-inch mattress, will it handle a squeak or shake?
Richard Morse says
It is strong enough Hilary. Generally its very rare that the mattress will squeak or shake.
Pearl Hymas says
The Zinus Demetric bed frame is good in design. Once we place a good quality mattress, it turns out to be perfect stable bed. No squeaky sounds and rattling when we turn . Much better than local cots we get in market. The size in accurate and paint finish is good. Came in a decent cardboard package. No assembly required, just open it and carefully, without hurting your fingers lock it. It is done. Once folded takes barely any space.
Richard Morse says
Thanks for sharing your review Pearl.
Ginette Emmert says
I cannot believe how easy this was to assemble by myself. 15 minutes, no problem. Sturdy. Strong. Noise free. My ultra firm Stearns and Foster fits right in with no wiggle room. Like a glove. My mattress is really heavy. The slats are strong. Please note that memory foam beds should not be used on beds with slats.
Richard Morse says
Susan Molina says
I can’t speak highly enough of Olee Sleep bed frame bed. We love it! No squeaking or weak metal here, even with combined 700 lbs. sleeping on it.
Kimberly Lecroy says
The Zinus Demetric 14 inch Elite SmartBase does fold up nicely if you ever had to move it to another place, or room, it’s easy! I’m very happy with this frame so far.
Aisha Dey says
Finally found something suitable for my sister lol, will definitely going to share this article with her.
I hope I’ll able to see tomorrow morning 😛 Btw great content it took me time to read it but it was worth it thank you for sharing.